Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Funny Tomatoes? Heirloom Tomatoes!


As we did our usual grocery errands during the weekend, we noticed our local Trader Joe's has stocked up on a lot of these boxes of Heirloom Tomatoes.

Summer is finishing up and I figured that if I don't get these locally grown tomatoes soon, I will need to wait till next year...


What is an heirloom tomato?

According to my hubby, he said that means funny shaped (aka ugly) tomatoes. But according to Wikipedia:

"An heirloom tomato (also called heritage tomato in the UK) is an open-pollinated (non-hybrid) heirloomcultivar of tomato. Heirloom tomatoes have become increasingly popular and more readily available in recent years."

Box full of heirloom tomatoes:



They are really weird looking! And they are not really cheap either, this box of tomatoes cost me $6.99!



Interesting striation, they reminded me of striated tulip variation:



Striated and green color:



This one reminded me of pumpkins.... and we decided to gobble up this guy the night we got this box of heirloom:



Paired with fresh buffalo mozzarella (from Italy), balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Topped with sweet cherry tomatoes on the top:


This yellow variation is surprisingly sweet! Not a hint of acidity in tomatoes at all! I can' wait to try the other varieties in the box!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting looking tomatoes! They sure are expensive but good that they tasted great! I like taking my tomatoes raw too :)