Friday, July 22, 2011

E*A*M Jewelry

Lily of the Valley earrings


About 2 years ago when I was strolling in Harvard Square I saw these pair of gorgeous earrings in a jewelry consignment store... I love how this jewelry design, Elise A. Moran gets has inspiration from the nature and lily of the valley is one my my favorite flower too!

But being involved in jewelry making, I know how much commission fees these consignment shops will take out of each product sold. So I have always wanted to visit her studio up in Portsmouth, NH and directly purchase from her and cut out the middleman commission. (My way of supporting local artists!)

That was 2 years ago and we have been traveling so much the past year or so and we totally forgot about this little exploration.

So as our anniversary draws near, we decided to make an appointment and visit the studio.

At first I wanted to get the pair of earrings only. But I saw another piece that captivate my heart, and my hubby was nice enough to get this lily necklace with lily pad hook closure for me as our anniversary present:



The closure is an interesting lily pad hook.



Why is the pad designed this way? I am sure a lot of you have experienced the closure of your necklae gradually make its way to the front, right? When this lily pad travels to the front, you will end up getting this look:



Aesthetically, it looks very cute too!

Details of the lily pad:



It's a very secure hook that took me sometime to get used to how to put on and take off. I like the functionality and design of it!

Now moving on to the designer.

The designer of these gorgeous pieces is Elise A. Moran. She is a very talent jewelry maker and she has a studio/workshop located in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. She does have a website:


(you will see a lily ring flower on the front page, which is the same lily that I got!)

However, you don't really see the full extent of her gorgeous designs!

During our visit, she was kind enough to let me take pictures of her studio so I can have nice blogging materials. But I can't take any pictures of close-ups of particular designs, which is understandable, because there is a lot people waiting to plagiarize her pretty designs!

Entrance to her studio in an historical warehouse building:



She has a showcase for some of her collection, and she uses a lot of brushed aluminum for her tables and showcases.... love this minimalist approach and very chic!



There are quite a few pieces of her earring pieces hanging from what I believed is a earring hanger that is handmade by her. Behind the column in the center of the photo is where her workshop is:


Her workdesk. This is so my ideal kind of workdesk too! I just wish I have that much room in my condo to put in a studio desk like this. She doesn't want me to take close up of what she is working on at the moment (but she showed me what it is, lovely!), so I just took a picture of the overall table...



Last but not least, her name card and contact info:



Hope you guys have enjoyed reading this blog post :)

No comments: