Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Dolly Wink Eyeshadow 01 Brown Sweet Dolly

As the weather starts to warm up in New England, it's a bigger motivation for me to get out of the hose more often. (But as I am writing up this blog entry it started pouring outside and the rain is supposed to continue for one whole week! Am I jinxing myself or something?? BOO!)



Anyways, I finally started digging into the stash of make up goodies that Momo-chan sent me a while ago. First I picked this Dolly Wink eyeshadow out of the stash randomly.

I have heard great reviews about this eyeshadow with its creamy texture and nice pigmentation. 

Dolly Wink is actually a brand under Koji and is developed by pop teen model Tsubasa Matsuwaka. I am really jealous of her fair and flawless skin!

At the first glance, I am very impressed in how good the Japanese are with their product packaging!! This Dolly Wink eyeshadow, in particular, is designed like a booklet/magazine like.

Back of the packaging:




"Spine" of the packaging, see why I say it looks like a magazine with the issue number 01 on it?


The packaging can open up like a book/magazine. Inside the booklet you actually get to see the eyeshadow application steps and tips.


More pictures on Tsubasa Masuwaka, posing as a sweet lolita. At this point, I think the book layout works well as her own diary for her dedicated fans :)



And moving on to the eyeshadow itself. The design of the black glossy case with some swirly floral patterns reminded me of Anna Sui's design, and I think a lot of people who had review this eyeshadow palette also said the same comment as well...



Colors inside the quad palette, from left to right, a warm tone gold/light brown, a creamy light yellow (highlight), a warm reddish terracotta brown, and a deep matte brown (as liner):



And the reviews were right! These colors are indeed pigmented and creamy. With one swipe on my fingers, the colors were picked up very easily!



Swatches of the colors at the back of my arm. And they are with just one swipe of my finger tips from the above picture. I am totally sold!



EOTD look, and I basically followed the steps in the booklet. A very gorgeous nude look for daytime look. It would look even better if I have fair skin like Tsubasa Masuwaka.



The texture is highly comparable with Urban Decay's NAKED palette, but I feel I will get more use out of the Dolly Wink eyeshadow because the colors are more suited for daytime look. I am not saying that UD's NAKED palette is bad, it's just that sometimes I don't know what to do with the last few deeper colors at the end of the NAKED palette.

The texture of this Dolly Wink eyeshadow is incredibly silky and creamy, and it's not powdery and there is no fall out. The colors stay put for hours (like 9 hours at least?!) even without the use of an eyeshadow primer.

I am so in love with this!

I know that Dolly Wink also has 3 other eyeshadow palettes which features more on the colorful pinks, greens and blues. I am less interested in those exotic "Pocahontas" like colors as I don't think those colors will look that flattering for my skin color and age. I prefer the natural make up look these days.

For those who are interested, here are the rest of the eyeshadows in this collection:

6 comments:

Jie Jie said...

Nice review! looks like I should get this palette as a substitute for NAKED Palette for my makeup pouch:)

Cutie Fishball said...

of the 4 colors that dolly wink offered, this neutral brown appeal to me the most... and it's a lot less shimmery with NAKED palette which means it will be more appropriate for work for you, so you should get it... and it's more compact to fit in your make up to go bag too, and the plus side to this is, the texture is highly comparable to Lunasol's quad, very creamy and pigmented, you will love it.

Does Sg Watson sell this?

Jie Jie said...

yes it is only available at selected watson store. I have to make a trip to Ochard road to get it:)

Cutie Fishball said...

I think I seen another youtuber Gracious Glamours got this from Sg Watsons and she is local in singapore... I am sure you will like it! haha, go to Orchard Road for a shopping day (without letting your hubby know!)

Jie Jie said...

lol^^...I will visit Watson store either tomorrow or this Friday, depending on my work:( been real busy lately..

Cutie Fishball said...

I suddenly have this recollection that I have seen it in the Watsons store in Far East Building (?) at the end of Orchard Road (near to Hard Rock Cafe)...

I can so tell you are busy, you are picking up your work right? You have been ignoring my emails and fb posts.... j/k!